FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any regulations regarding the burning of household trash, or yard waste such as leaves and branches?

       Yes, Stroud Township Ordinance 11-2001 sets forth strict air quality regulations. Burning is allowed only on Saturdays between the hours of 7:00 AM and 5:00 PM.  Any complaints involving illegal burning or air pollution caused by outdoor burning should be referred to the Monroe County Control Center at (570) 992-9911.  Common sense dictates consideration for your neighbors.  They may have health problems aggrevated by smoke, especially respiratory related conditions.  Safety is a priority. Fines may be imposed for illegal burning.
Stroud Township enacted the Air Pollution Control Ordinance in 1994 to specifically protect residents from adverse effects to the environment from burning.  All outdoor burning is discouraged to limit the detrimental impact upon the health and safety of residents. Provisions are made for occasional outdoor burning on Saturdays between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. Burning must be contained in a burning barrel or protected fire pit. Open burning is prohibited. Items that are ok to burn are primarily non-recyclable paper products such as used tissues, and cardboard food container boxes that have been contaminated by grease such as pizza boxes. A water hose should be close by to avoid inadvertent spread of the fire. Do not burn on windy days or when the ground is dry. The burning of garbage and most household trash is illegal. There is to be no burning of anything recyclable or of items considered to be highly flammable or explosive, such as rags, old clothes, leather, carpets, wood excelsior, paper, ashes, leaves, yard trimmings, furniture, tin cans, glass, crockery, masonry, and other similar materials. Also, no burning of solid or liquid material or rubbish resulting from construction, building, or industry, including, but not limited to, plastic products, cartons, paint, grease, oil and other petroleum products, chemicals, cinders, and other forms of solid or liquid waste materials.  The Department of Environmental Resources website addresses the most hazardous items typically burned in backyard burning at:

      Never leave a fire unattended. Do not burn on windy days and when conditions are very dry. You may not burn any animal or vegetable related garbage, any rubbish (such as old cloth, brush, paper, yard waste, plastic products, carpet, and leather), construction waste, trade waste, or recyclable materials. Please read the Ordinance for more specifics.
Stroud Township residents may dispose of leaves, grass clippings, brush and tree trimmings for free by bringing them to the Stroud Township Leaf and Yard Waste Composting Center off Gaunt Rd., just north of the Stroud Mall on Rte. 611. They may also pick up free mulch. Proof of residency is required for free service. There are fees for non-township residents and commercial. See Exhibit A..

How do I obtain information from the Township?
     Some information can be gotten from the township receptionist when you stop in or call the office. Some information, such as zoning or sewage requirements will have to be gotten from the departments that handle that information. Other types of information, that may have to be researched, is not readily available, such as public records, legislation, and financial matters can be requested through a written  form available at our office and on-line.  Stroud Township's policy is to comply with the Pennsylvania's  Right to Know Law (Act 3-2008).  Supervisor Daryl Eppley is our Open Records Officer and can be contacted at 1211 North Fifth Street, Stroudsburg, PA 18360, or called at 570-421-3362, or e-mailed at

I just moved here and I noticed that my trash is not picked up when I put it out on the curb on the days that other neighbors put their's out, why?
      Stroud Township does not have municipal trash collection, although there is interest in starting municipal collection in 2009.  Meanwhile, residents must make arrangements with trash haulers who are licensed to pick up in the Township. For 2009, the licenced haulers are: Hopkins 570-421-7729; Waste Management 800-621-2100; and Coslar 992-3874.  Cans may be put out on the curb no earlier than the night before collection.  Once the trash hauler empties the cans, the cans should be placed back on your property that same day.   Please note: due to the wildlife here in the Poconos, especially bears and raccoons,  residents should keep trash cans with garbage in them in garages or other areas where the animals cannot get to.  If your trash is placed in bags or in trashcans without a tight lid, animals will get into them and make a mess, which will be your responsibility to clean up.  If you have a large amount of trash and junk, Norman Rinker Trash Collection 570-629-1937 is authorized to accept property clean-up trash.

Does Stroud Township have a place I can take large items for disposal such as sofas and refrigerators?
      Yes, but only on one weekend per year in the spring during the Township Spring Cleanup which is announced on our Calendar page as well as in the Pocono Record newspaper.   Otherwise,  you will need to make arrangements with your trash hauler for pick up, or take it yourself to the landfill in Pen Argyl (Grand Central Landfill) 610-863-6058 or 1-800-225-5930.

Can I add an Apartment to my Home or Rental Property, or convert it to a two or more apartment building?
Please check with the Stroud Twp. Zoning office before converting an area of your home into an apartment. Converting a single family dwelling into a two family or multi-family dwelling is not allowed in an R-1, S-1 or O-1 district. In other districts, they may be approved with a Special Exception hearing before the Planning and Zoning Hearing Boards provided they meet the requirements. If approved by the Boards, Zoning and Building Code applications will have to be submitted and Permits received. To ignore the correct procedures could result in you having to tear out any construction you have done. (Twp. office: 570-421-3362)

Where are the parks in the area and what do they have to do there?
 Information on public parks can be found at the following webpages: and

Are all properties in Stroud Township on public sewer?
No! Only a portion of the residents are hooked up to public sewer. If you get a bill from Stroud Township Sewer Authority, you are connected. Some residents in large private communities such as Penn Estates and Blue Mountain Lake Estates are on community systems.  Most of the remaining residents have their own septic systems on their own properties.  For questions about your public sewer, contact Brenda Klein, Office Manager for the Stroud Township Sewer Authority at 570-421-5043.   If you have questions about a septic system, please leave a message for Helen Beers, Stroud Township Sewage Enforcement Officer at 570-421-3362, Extension 117.   For septic system maintenance info., please visit

Is there some place I can report litter or dumping of trash along the roads in the township to get it cleaned up?
You can call 570-420-3525 or 1-888LITTERBUG to report littering or sites with litter in Stroud Township. There are also websites that addresses this issue: , and

Some of the answers to these questions are based on Stroud Township ordinances, but your property's deed restrictions may set forth additional prohibitions, especially if you are in a subdivion/development.

Our neighbor's property is a mess, can we do anything about it?
     Stroud Township Ordinance 7-2000 declares certain nuisances as illegal and prohibited.  Included are: storing and accumulating garbage and rubbage.  Also, keeping unused machinery, equipment, appliances, and items such as scrap metal, glass, industrial waste, and unregistered, uninsured vehicles where they can be seen from a public road, street, lane or alley maintained by the township or state.
Zoning Codes Violations Officer Carol Nauman or leave a message for her at 570-421-3362.  Carol is in the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Can you keep unregistered cars on your property?
      Cars that do not have a current registration and current inspection sticker are deemed abandoned or junk cars and must be stored in a manner in which they can not be seen from any public road.  However, up to three antique or collector motor vehicles which are being restored can be stored on a property if kept in an orderly fashion.

Where can I take my engine oil for recycling?
Jiffy LubeŽ and other automotive service will take your used oil free of charge. Be sure to keep your recycling container free of other substances.  ONLY used oil should go into the container.  Protect the container from rain and the elements so that water and other containments do not mix with your drain oil.  Please do not allow any to go into the ground as it will end up contaminating yours or someone else's drinking water.

Are septic tank additives safe to use?

There are many different septic additives on the market, but please save your money for routine maintenance.  No additive in the world is going to replace the need for regular septic inspections and emptying of the septic tank  every couple of years.   It is important to understand that everything that goes down every sink, shower, toilet, and even the washing machine in your house goes directly into your septic system and can affect it's functioning. It is very costly to replace a septic system.  Our website has tips on how to keep your septic system from malfunctioning.

Are dogs required to be licensed?
      State law requires that dogs must be confined, controlled, registered and inoculated against rabies. A dog license can be obtained at the Monroe County Treasurers Office ( 517-3180) at 1 Quaker Plaza adjoining Monroe County Court House in Stroudsburg, or at some veterinarians and the SPCA. Dogs must be licensed from 3 months of age and a new license obtained each year. A un-spayed or un-neutered male or female dog license is $8.00 (senior citizens or disabled discounted amount is $6.00). A spayed or neutered dog license is $6.00 (senior citizens or disabled discounted amount is $4.00). The Monroe County Dog Warden conducts checks to see if dogs are up-to-date with their licenses and innoculations. Stroud Township Ordinance 7-2000 prohibits dogs from running at large and excessive barking. Please have consideration for your neighbor.

Do I need a permit for a Yard Sale?
     Yes, Stroud Township Ordinance 170 regulates yard sales, garage sales etc.  A permit and small fee of $5. is necessary as well as adherence to other regulations. Please stop in the office between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to get your permit which you must display at the yardsale.

Are there any regulations having to do with putting up fences?
     Yes, all fences shall be located completely on the owner's property and shall not overlap property lines. Fence designs and locations must permit the fence to be maintained completely from the owner's side of the property.  Any fence greater than six (6) feet in height shall require a Zoning Permit

Are there any regulations I need to follow to put up a swimming pool?
     Yes, zoning ordinances regulate the location and other requirements of a swimming pool. A single private outdoor swimming pool per dwelling unit is permitted as an accessory use to a residential structure provided that such swimming pool is for the private use of the residents of the dwelling unit or for their guests. Such a pool may be located within the required rear or side yards for the District in which the pool is to be located except that no portion of the body of water in the pool shall be located closer to the property line than ten (10') feet and no portion of any walks or accessory pool appurtenances surrounding shall be closer than four (4') feet to any property line. 
     All outdoor pools shall be surrounded and enclosed by a fence at least four (4') feet high structurally suitable to deter direct access to the body of water in the pool. Such a fence shall not have openings, holes or gaps therein larger than four (4) inches in width or, if larger than four (4) inches in width, no larger than four (4) inches in length except for doors or gates; provided, however, that if a picket fence is erected or maintained the horizontal opening shall not exceed four (4) inches, provided, further, that a dwelling house or accessory building may be used as a part of such a fence and provided, further, that existing hedges may be used as such enclosure or a part or parts thereof with the written approval of the Zoning Officer.  The Zoning Officer at his discretion may approve such existing hedges, which substantially comply with the above requirements for fences or walls.

      All gates or doors opening through such enclosure shall be equipped with a self-closing and self-latching device designed to keep, and capable of keeping, such door or gate securely closed at all times when not in actual use; provided, however, that the door of any dwelling occupied by human beings and forming any part of the enclosure hereinabove required need not be so equipped.  
     Fences shall be constructed of weather resistive materials and shall be assembled or fabricated with sufficient rigidity to prevent any substantial alteration or deformation of the lawful openings, holes or gaps.
     The sides of a pool constructed above the ground level shall be considered to meet the requirements for a fence preventing direct access to the pool provided that such sides of the pool are at least four (4') feet high and provided further that any stairs, steps or ladders used to reach the water surface of the pool shall be removable or capable of being folded up or secured in a way which will prevent their use when the pool is not in operation by the residents of the property or their guests. When a deck is constructed between a house and a pool, a fence in conformance with this section shall be required on the deck. The construction standards for such deck fences shall be the same as those for in-ground pool fences. In ground pools and above ground pools having walls twenty-five (25) inches or more in height shall require a zoning permit.

      The new state Building Codes regulations are also applicable with pools, so additional forms will need to be picked up at the Township office and submitted.
Pick up a zoning permit at the Township office, or get started with this part of the process by printing one out from our
Zoning Permit page.

Do I need a permit for a pre-built shed?
     Yes, a Zoning Permit is required, mainly to assure that you abide with setback regulations.  In most cases, a Building Permit is not required.

Can I park my recreational vehicle or boat in my yard?
     Yes, off-street parking of one unoccupied recreational vehicle or boat on any one residential lot is permitted provided that the vehicle/boat is located to the side or rear of the principal residential structure ouside any required front yard.  Corner properties are defined in our Zoning Ordinance to have two front yards as two sides face streets. This limits where the vehicle can be parked to the back and the other side.

Can I fill out permits from this web site and send them in through e-mail?
    You can print out the permits on this web site (see Zoning page for permits on-line), but you must send them in through regular mail, not e-mail, or drop them off at our office. Permits usually require fees that must be sent in with them. By the way, permits can be filled in by typing in before printing out, or you can print them out, then fill in by hand. Stroud Township does not accept credit card payments.

What are the fees for township permits?
The fee schedule is found at:

I have well water; do I need to test it?
     Yes, Many residents obtain their water from private wells. Even if you have been drinking water from your well for years with no apparent ill effect, you should consider checking your water for contaminants. Wells can change character from the amount of recharge (how the well is continually re-supplied), and the resulting water table (where the water rises to a static level in the ground). The natural movement under ground, nearby site alterations, prolonged heavy rain, or well drilling in the area may cause changes in your well.
     It is recommended that wells be tested annually or more often if a change in taste, odor, pressure or amount available is noticed in your water supply. Coliform bacteria and nitrates are the most common contaminants. If you have low Ph (acidic) water and older pipes with lead soldered joints or brass or bronze plumbing fixtures, lead can leach into your water.
     Contamination can occur rapidly or over a long period of time. In the case of a well gradually becoming contaminated, the resident may become immune or be able to tolerate the contamination for a while. Visitors, especially the elderly or children, may become sick. Testing may prevent this.

     The Dep’t. of Environmental Protection can provide information on testing and corrective measures if contaminants are found. Call 570-895-4047 or go on-line at http;// and choose Drinking Water Publications.

Where can I find out about things that are happening in the Township?
      There is an Announcements and Calendar page to this website that lists information such as our Spring Clean-Up and our public meetings.    Also, the Supervisors meeting minutes are on-line, although they may be somewhat behind.   Our Township also mails out a newsletter twice a year. If you do not receive one in April and one in September, please email or call Ed Cramer at 570-421-3362. 

My neighbor has a goat, is this legal?
     A reasonable number of customary household pets or domestic animals may be kept on residential lots without zoning permits. However, the keeping of animals such as cattle, horses, goats and pigs as pets shall require a minimum lot area of three (3) acres plus an additional one-half (1/2) acre of land for each animal more than the first animal. Stables, runways or animal exercise pens shall be located more than sixty (60') feet from lot lines or road right-of-way lines. The keeping of animals or fowl for commercial breeding or commercial raising or uses shall be defined as Animal Husbandry and shall meet the requirements stated within the Zoning Ordinance for that activity.


last updated  050712